Kisújszállás is one of the ancient cuman cities (the Cumans were a nomadic Turkic people who inhabited a shifting area north of the Black Sea known as Cumania along the Volga River). Towns are here from the middle ages, places of six medieval cities from the time of the Árpád dynasty were found in the last thirty years. The settler Cumans between 1243-46 –the forbears of the present day population- built their quarters here. Kisújszállás is a built-up area from four-five thousand years ago.
First seen in a royal title from 1395 as Kisszállás, then in 1470 as Kisújszállás. In 1557 they lived approximately 120 on this land. In the time of the Turkish campaigns it desolated several times.
The population had escaped to the land of Lord Rákóczi. The charter of the resettlement was sent to Orczy one of the masters of the German Knighthood in Nyssa in 17 august 1717, wherein they approved two years free of tax for the peasants that live there. In 1720 the place had a population of 300.
The redemption in 1745 brings back the independence and a big economic boost. In 1806 the city got the rank of country town, from king I. Ferenc, with the right to keep sales. The commerce started to develop, artificer guilds evolved. The furs made by Gaál Sándor had a name all over Europe. The Takács dynasty is the continuator of this profession. They made by hand the coats with the specific embroidery that the shepherds wore. The town had a big part in the revolution and war of independence in 1848. Illéssy János was a commissioner in the cabinet of Kossuth, and member of the parliament in Debrecen.
The railroad between Szolnok and Karcag was built in 1857, which joined the city to the national train service.
The city was administrated by a voted captain until 1872, from then it has an ordered council, and a population of 10.000
The facade of the city that we see today evolved at the millennium, with the folk architecture that is combined with the baroque and classical buildings.
The travelers on the train that runs on the Budapest-Debrecen line can see the image of a city on the lowlands with beautiful gardens. The structure of the city is matchless in the area, with an eccentric center and intimate side streets. A country town with industry, commerce, and with appropriate level of services. Shops, restaurants and pensions are waiting for the trough passengers. The beach of the town, the “Erzsébet liget” has a pleasing climate thanks to the oaken woods, and a thermal spring with 48-49 degree Celsius medicinal water (alkali-bicarbonate-iodine), with camping sites. You can also see the Alkotóház (Artificer house) made by sculptor Papi Lajos, the exhibition shows the peasant farming and the materials of the peasant lifestyle in the Néprajzi Kiállítóterem (Ethnical Exhibition Room). You can look in to the folk art in the 200 years old traditional house.
The Horváth-tanya (Horváth-wick) is a nice recreation, where you can come to know the ancient horse riding culture. The qualified riders can go trough the “Betyárok nyomában” (“In the footsteps of the Rascals”) tour, and if they make it they will get a warrant that they are honorary rascals. The Cuman-duel is a big touristic spectacle in September.
The town is a good excursion opportunity to the mere of Hortobágy or in the direction of Eger. To south is the untouched world of birds next to the river Berettyó, and the bustard reserve is calling for visitors.